LaLaLa, I Rip The Land Out Of It

This new blog, one of MANY I have written, is just for grins and gripes.

As a movie fan, I tend to want to rewrite the films, from time-to-time. 

Of course, there are films that are perfection and I would not touch one frame of the magic.

Mostly,  movie magic could use a few swipes of a fairy wand. This blog is my fairy wanding (I will always make up words, so get accustomed to it) way of rewriting some these disasters, semi-disasters, bad, not-that-bad, average, and just a little wrong movies.

Let me start this one by saying I am not a fan of Ryan Gosling, and I am lukewarm on Emma Stone. But, that point is moot.

So, moving on to the actual film, LaLa Land.

SET THE SCENE:

I waited to see this one after all the award nominations, but before the Academy Awards. So, the expectations were above average, I suppose.

Settling into the comfy cinema chair, with trepidation, I watched. The opening scene was impressive, and as the music pulsed, my hopes did as well. Perhaps this would live up to the hype.

Roll the reel until the leads appear together.

Chemistry between the leads, Emma and Ryan?
Not enough to match the beat of the music or elevate the heart rhythms.

Their level of singing and dancing?
Average.
Don't give me the side-eye on this one. I spent too many hours in both singing and dance training. I know what I know! They were both average. Not horrible. 

STORYLINE

The same basic one used by Hollywoodland since the beginning of movies. Boy. Girl. Share their dreams. Love found. Happy music (cue the happy emotions for the leads). Dreams are crushed. Love lost. Melancholy music (cue the time for tissues, and sadness for the leads). Boring? Yeah, a little bit. Nothing new to embrace.

Production was excellent, naturally.

THEME

Life in Hollywood is a bitch. But, even little twerps can (quite frequently do in real life) hit the big time.

Life in Hollywood will break you and your heart. 

Movie rapidly moves through singing, dancing, sharing dreams, sharing heartbreak, to the end. They don't end up together, but we see they have, we assume, happily moved on.

MY GRIPE

One of my main gripes with this movie, other than just about all of it, is this...why is Emma's character so shocked that Ryan's character is performing in a commercial venue? I would think, as his love interest, she would attend rehearsals along the way or at least they would discuss his career path. Very weak story link.

Of course, Ryan as the jazz loving, performing musician is a hard sell to me...an actual lover of real jazz musicians.

MY REWRITE

So, how would I rewrite this script?

First, more John Legend. Much more. Expanded storyline for his character.

No need for that faux-happy ending with her new guy and kid. Pointless.

I would have the characters part as they have grown apart, they can not be a couple. They can, however, remain friends and supportive of their respective dreams. That can happen. It does not have to be all or nothing in relationships. Happy, but not sappy, because real life is filled with ever-shifting scenes.

Final Scene: He waits outside her trailer on her movie set. She emerges, they hook arms and he says, "Maybe someday I can score a movie for you."

She responds, "Maybe. But, until then I want to blend into the dark shadows of your club. You can buy me a drink and perform, just for me...and, of course, the crowd of jazz-lovers waiting to hear you play...just for them."

Fade To Black!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Devil Wears Prada, But The Friends Are Bargain Basement